Monday, June 18, 2012

Παστίτσιο! ( Pastitsio )

Hello there whoever you are! :D

I don't think my recipes have been a big success or I don't know...but still I won't stop putting recipes because I like to do them and who knows maybe somewhere out there one of you is going to try them :)

I guess I am going through a "phase" again and I have been making Greek food. Probably because I miss being there...no wonder I have been gaining a bit of weight lately! So the last time I made tzatziki  I promised I would make pastitsio and put the recipe on here so I want to keep my promises! Every Greek mom knows how to make pastitsio, but my mom didn't make it when I was little because it is too hard to make. I guess she is right, but cooking isn't only about the food, it's about the whole process. I usually put some music on or invite friends over and socialize at the same time.

So here is what you are going to need!

500 g of Bucatini spaghetti ( some kind of thick spaghetti with a hole in the middle )
800 g of ground meat
3 onions
390g of crushed tomatoes
1,5 l of milk
4 dl of flour
a teaspoon of nutmeg (muskottipähkinä)
salt and pepper
The oven on 200 degrees

this is the spaghetti I was talking about
















Okay! So this is the process of this difficult food:

Chop the onions and "fry" them in a hot pan, add the ground meat and the crushed tomatoes. Leave it in the pan for about 15 minutes till the extra fluid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper.


Cook the Bucatini in boiled water, when they are ready add butter so they don't get sticky. To make the besamel ( the sauce that is going to come on top ) add in the milk the flour, a couple of teaspoons of salt and the nutmeg and mix it very well! In a casserole( that you have greased with butter ) put the layer of Bucatini then add on top the ground meat.















To make the besamel put the milk-flour mixture in a pan and warm it up by mixing it very well at the same time. I have to say that it took me about 20 minutes to get this sauce thick so just be patient and keep mixing or if you want you can add an egg yok in case it doesn't get thick at all.















Add the besamel sauce on top ( I added also some gouda that we had left in the fridge...some people add bread crumbs ). Leave it in the oven for 30 minutes with a cover and then another 15 minutes without a cover to get this beautiful golden brown color. 



Bon appétit! :D

Karoliina


No comments:

Post a Comment